Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Kelly Clarkson speaks out about low self-esteem

KELLY CLARKSON when asked if she ever had low self-esteem Kelly said, ".....In junior high, I had glasses and braces, my face was broken out and I was chubby. Everything was bad! I begged my mom for contacts. We didn't have much money, but she finally set me up to get some. It's little things like contacts that help people feel more comfortable inside and out. I finally didn't have to worry about glares on stage or about my glasses slipping when I played sports." The reporter asked Kelly if there was anything else that helped her feel more comfortable in her own skin. She said, ".....I was always involved and always doing stuff. I did sports, drama, choir and I was also in senior council. Exercise and staying active always makes me feel great." They also asked her if her self-esteem suffered when she watched herself on TV during American Idol. She said, "I'm petite but I was the biggest girl on my season-everyone else weighed 100 pounds. Reporters would ask, 'So what's it like being a big girl?' and I thought, 'Big? What?" It was like, 'Wait, what am I doing wrong?' Luckily, I had a great mom and dad who helped me grow up feeling comfortable in my own skin. I have a curvy figure, which guys like. And performing isn't about looking the best or being the most beautiful. I do it because I love it. Look, nobody else has my butt. Nobody has my eyes. Nobody has my nose. It's all mine. And that's what makes me different from everyone." Source: TWIST magazine September '04

For more cool stuff go to www.heyugly.org